Welcome to G. W. Carver’s Kindergarten! We are so excited to have you join our school community! We look forward to partnering with you to create a positive Kindergarten experience for your child in which he or she loves to learn.
The curriculum for Kindergarten includes Standards of Learning in Language Arts, Mathematics, History, and Science, as well as instruction in Art, Music, Guidance, Library, and Physical Education. Teachers work with children individually as well as in small groups and whole classes. Kindergarten children are assessed in multiple ways, including standardized tests, samples of students’ written work, and observations of hands-on activities.
The transition to Kindergarten will be easier for your child if he or she:
· is completely toilet trained.
· has had practice separating from parents without tears.
· has had experiences sharing adult attention with other children.
· has had experiences dressing himself and taking care of his or her belongings.
· has an attention span of at least 5-10 minutes. The best way to help with this is to read with your child!
· recognizes his or her first name in writing.
· is familiar with counting and the Alphabet Song.
· has had lots of experiences with crayons and scissors.
· knows his or her address and phone number for personal safety